Sunday, September 18, 2011

put them in the iron maiden

what it is: slayer zine
where i found it: long long ago, recently reemerged at st. marks bookshop 

I have a soft spot in my heart for pre-internet underground metal tape trading. I was never heavily into "doing mail" myself (I never knew what to say in letters to metal heads from Eastern Europe or Florida), but I had several friends who were obsessed and dedicated. I certainly benefited from their hard work when they passed me early Napalm Death, Obituary and Autopsy materials. Despite so much recent underground metal hype, I was still amazed to see a new compendium of Slayer zine (a huge, cheap hardcover tome - $30!) at the local book store. Author Metalion was front and center in demo sifting for 20 years and despite a lot of adolescent bullcrap in-jokes his enthusiasm for brutal metal and gore movies is pretty much unparalleled. Fortunately he clears the hurdle of taking anything too seriously and just when a band interview is getting boring from some guitarist talking  somberly about misinformed and shallow occult ideology Metalion pulls out questions like "So, do you like kangaroos?" or "Why is your logo so shitty? Shouldn't you make a better one?"