Tuesday, October 18, 2011

puzzle master rex

what it is: rex parker does the ny times crossword
where i found it: google, i think

I've been doing the New York Times crossword off and on for about 15 years now. I usually still can't get past Wednesday (they increase in difficulty throughout the week), but I try. When I'm stumped on a clue or two I might ask someone or I might google a single word. When I get really desperate or have no fucking idea about anything I turn to this guy. How does he get even the hardest puzzles done so fast and have time to research/provide great information about each clue and make hilarious and weird commentary*? Even when I go though stages of not doing the puzzle or don't even try on a Friday I still get sucked into the vortex of his sight, where there's always weird links and unusual stuff to erase any time you might have to do something productive, meaningful or important.

*footnote - possible answers:
Perhaps he is a savant:



Or a dork:
 

Or perhaps he grew up under a totalitarian regime and was forcibly trained as a child to be an indentured virtuoso: