Tuesday, December 27, 2011

blogging pays off

what it is: blogging pays off
where i found it: right here

This blogging thing is really starting to pay off. Almost starting to sustain itself even. Last weeks improvised weaponry video post (how to subdue your enemy with a rolled up magazine) is a wonderful example. Far better than what I was going to post about on that day. Just last week I got a package from a nice/evil reader in Amarillo Texas with all of the Herzog/Kinski movies, a Ric Flair Wrestling video, a copy of I am Cuba and a book on the horrifying doings of the Process Church (which I'm trying hard not to read). And then I got some e-mails from Belgium telling me about some Beckett I'd never read and some unusual metal I'd never heard.
And here's yet another good example. Reader C Griffin from the Bronx sent me this. It's an old education manual with an exercise called "ball vs. sausage", which would clearly be seen as highly inappropriate if it were put into practice these days. He sent me PDFs, which were poorly scanned and upside down. I tried to convert them into legible text using google docs, but it got even crazier. In some ways reading it this way is even more fun than reading it upside down and might even be poetic. Here you go:




I. Bail vs. Sausage. Show the child two equal-sized balls uf clay, and sav to him:
If necessary, adjust the amounts uf clay in ‘thc tw-El halts the child agrees that he has just as much claw as vou have. Then sag; to the child:
I om going to roll my clay into a sausage.
Fioll '|rCrur clay into a sausage. Then ask:
Now do you still have just as much clay as I have, or do you have more, or do I have more?
After the chitd responds, say-.
Tell me wlw.
Record the child‘; responses on the Conservation pf Substance response sheet in the appropriate section.
2. Baa‘! vs. Bails. Begin again with two equal-sized balls of clay Ask the child.‘ Do have as much play as I have?
It necugsary, adjust The at clay in the two balls until the child agrees that he has just as much as you have. Then divide your hail into two pieces out of which yrdu Fu-rm two smali-at balls. Ask the child:
Ngw you have just a5 claw; as l have, or do ‘gnu have more, -ur do I have more?
After the chiid responds, say:
TC“ me why. Fleoord the child's responses on the Conservation of Substance response meet in the appropriate section.
-3'. Baa‘! vs. Pancake. Begin again with two equal-sized balls of okay. Ask the child: Do you have just as much olay as have, or do -you have more, or do I have more?
Nuw do you stiil have just as much clay as, I ham;-., or do you have more, or do 1 have more?
After the child responds, say‘.
Tell me why.
‘Renard the chilufs responses on the Conservation of Substance response sh-E:-at in appropriate snactiun.
Submit the Conservation of Substance response sheet together with a report ot about EDD words in which - 2:.
classiiy each child as preoperationel lno conservation responses}, concrete operational lconsistent conservation responses that the child feels must be correctl, or transitional [some conservation and some noncoi-tseruatien re sponsesjl. In your report trot: shoulcl also answer tho two questions that follow,
1. If there were erw noneonsenration responses. why do you think they occurred? 2. If There were conservation responses, do thee reflect err-,r of the ‘feliewing rationales offered be Piaget?