Thursday, December 1, 2011

planking and owling

what it is: planking and owling
where i found it: a badly written newspaper article


A few days ago there was a ¾ page expose in the NY Times about a fad called “planking” (lying face down and having your picture taken). It was not very well explained or documented, and while I threw the article in trash immediately, I found myself wondering about it afterwards. With so much important news in the world, why was so much space relegated to this junk? I did a little more research and it turns out that planking is actually kind of funny and absurd and if the article was not so poorly written (solely focusing on shitty celebrities like the Olson twins and Hugh Hefner’s playmate girlfriend) I would have been more than happy to see so much space allotted to such a blatantly surreal activity. As usual, real people are much better than celebrities and here’s a slew of pictures to prove it.  If you’re really into it, you can look up the Olson Twins website where apparently their fondness for “planking” and “owling” (crouching like an owl and having your photo taken) is documented. I haven’t looked yet.