Monday, April 16, 2012

bummer in the summer

what it is: forever changes
where i found it: the jukebox of the mars bar (RIP)



Back in the early 2000s at one of the last indescribably disgusting bars standing in NYC I first heard a few strands of Love's Forever Changes LP, which turned into one of those multiple multiple listens a day records. Granted this was 30 years after it was released, 30 years after the guitarist and bassist got busted for serial donut shop robbery and after Arthur Lee was long incarcerated.  Fortunately for me, Lee was also soon released from prison and reformed Love with a new crop of musicians and I got to see the man himself live, which mades these songs sound even more excellent and intricate. Anyway, I dug the album from beneath a heap the other day and started listening again and I encourage you to do the same. The best folk-prog-acid-rock-hippie-music-fried-guitar-string-arrangment-orchestral-strum-thing I've heard.

I also found this relic: an alternate version of You Set the Scene with proto rapping and yelling at the end. I guess it was worth a try.