Monday, April 9, 2012

diet coke vs. whiskey

what it is: the blues
where i found it: some god forsaken tenant farm

johnny shines

Say as much as you want about the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc. (like I do sometimes). They're nothing compared to Lighnin' Hopkins, Sun House, Huddie Ledbetter and the like. Like diet coke vs. whiskey. Sometimes I put on an old blues record (like I did yesterday) and I get reminded that most of the music we hear involves various permutations of pale white boy imitation. Please remember this. I'll try to also.

Here are a few examples that will help.

death letter

nine below zero

any time you're thinking evil, you're thinking about the blues

maybe this belongs in a different sort of post, but it still kicks the shit out of white people playing the blues.