Tuesday, November 20, 2012

two bye byes

what it is: two bye byes
where i found it: two realms

Two RIPs today that have little to do with each other (as far as I know).

First up we have Daniel Stern, a giant in the field of infant research and psychoanalysis. Studying infant-mother interactions in extreme detail (poring over video tapes second by second), he opened up whole new ways of looking at infancy and the ways our pre-verbal experiences set the foundations for the rest of life. If you have any interest in this kind of stuff (my guess is that you were a baby at some point in time) his Interpersonal World of the Infant is a classic.


Next up we have Jack Gilbert, one of our great travel poets. Instead of yammering on about him I'll just post one of his poems here.
 
The Mail
What the hell are you doing
(he writes) in that worn rock valley
with chickens and the donkey and not farming?
And the people around you speaking Greek.
And the only news faint on the Armed Forces
Network. I don't know what to say.
And what about women? he asks. Yes,
I think to myself, what about women?

Bye guys.