Tuesday, February 19, 2013

crunk zydeco

what it is: crunk zydeco
where i found it: oxford american


I've been looking through the latest issue of the excellent literary journal the Oxford American over the past few days, the theme of which is music from Louisiana. I learned about a few scenes I've never heard of before such as black trail riding, where a bunch of country folk get together to play (usually) zydeco music and ride horses. Within this scene there are apparently a million sub zydeco genres such as Crunk Zydeco, but I don't seem to be able to find any examples of this online or otherwise, which may actually be a good thing. I did find some footage of a few black trail ride processions, complete with DJs in horse-drawn wagons. In some cases there are also live bands on the wagons, but,I couldn't find many examples of this. In one of these scenes the wagon is blasting out Hank Williams Jr., kind of a weird surprise.

TRAIL RIDE I

TRAIL RIDE II

TRAIL RIDE III

The issue also reminded me of these great individuals: Clifton Chenier, Professor Longhair and James Booker, but I think I'll save that for tomorrow's post.