Tuesday, June 11, 2013

dove the love band

what it is: dove the love band
where i found it: henry on the radio

Henry Rollins has screwed up my life twice. The first time involved him making his Loose Nut album available at the neighborhood skateboard ramp, exposing me to the first non-mainstream music I had ever heard and songs that had cuss words in them. The second was this weekend when I came across the archives of a radio show he’s doing these days, in which he proves to have genuinely diverse and interesting musical tastes. The segues are often abrupt and/or jarring and there’s a little too much energetic punk for my taste, but there’s also a lot of excellent free jazz, Jimi Hendrix bootlegs, doom and ultra obscure post punk that the guy spins. He also reminded me what great bands that Ween and the Fall are. The part where he screwed up my life again came when he played the out of print, not to be found first Devo EP, which I am obsessed with now (even though it’s only 16 minutes long). You can find it on the 5/5 show in the archives if you care. There are a lot of great facts about Devo, but probably my favorite one is that they used to disguise themselves and be their own opening band, Dove the Love Band, and sing about Christ. They’re a little like the Residents, though their code is slightly easier to crack and they don’t package their records in refrigerators (as far as I know).  As far as what Rollins does with his career, I far prefer this radio show to his playing bit thug parts in shitty movies or conducting sofa interviews with Marilyn Manson, though the latter gig did score him a talk with Werner Herzog about what it’s like to be the victim of a drive by shooting while standing in front of the Hollywood sign.
With all the recent talk of recent divergent Black Flag reunions I would also like to remind you that those early Rollins Band recordings (pre-End of Silence) were relatively awesome slabs of pulsing atonality and rage. I wonder if they're still in print.


rollins DJ-ing in devo shirt, presumably delivering same