Tuesday, August 6, 2013

satan is real

what it is: satan is real 
where i found it: the greatest country close gospel brother duo that ever was

I just finished up Satan Is Real, the tale of the Louvin Brothers, Ira and Charlie, as told by the latter. There are a great many wonderful moments in the book, not the least of which is when Charlie beats the shit out of Ira on the very first page. Other highlights are when the brothers build their own flaming set for the Satan is real album cover (complete with burning tires, falling rocks and a Satan made of Charlie's daughter's old dollhouse - see above), get rich enough to buy their parents indoor plumbing but their dad still walks across the road to take a shit, claiming "you don't do that in the house," and this conversation between Ira and Bill Monroe (just after Ira borrows Monroe's mandolin due to smashing his own to smithereens for the umpteenth time), as witnessed by Charlie:
“If there’s anything I can do for you,” Ira said, “you just let me know what it is.”
“I’ll tell you what,” Bill said. “There is one thing you can do.”
“What’s that?” Ira said.
“When I die, you can sing a song at my funeral.”
“What song?” Ira asked.
“Any song,” Bill said. “You pick it.”
Ira laughed. “All right, Bill,” he said. “But just in case I don’t make it to your funeral, I need you to make a promise.”
“What’s that?”
“I want you to sing ‘Swing Low, Sweet Chariot’ at mine.”
That started Bill laughing, too. They sat there giggling over which one was gonna die first. I though it was creepy as hell, but they were just giggling like a couple of girls.

Landfills are full of unfortunate country music memoirs, but this one, along with almost all of the Louvins' music, is certainly worth your time.