Friday, September 27, 2013

paul's low tones

what it is: paul's low tones
where i found it: the beatles pit

I used to have a friend on house arrest who would do nothing but sit on the porch, smoke dope and listen to the Bealtes. In one particularly THC saturated moment he turned to me and said "Paul" during a weirdly angled bass fill on the B side of Abbey Road and it shifted my perspective from seeing McCartney as the most cheesy of Beatles to the most heaviest. It's easy to get swept away in vocal harmonies and odd background instrumental nuances and John's voice strain and stupid trippy lyrics, but I've been in Paul bass focus as of late (sort of like the Phil Zone) - perhaps you want to step into it as well. I'm going to start here with early material, which admittedly has its trite and corny aspects, but one cannot really knock the bass choices. There are a lot of websites out there dedicated to this topic, but I' d personally rather spend fifteen minutes listening to the music than reading that garbage.